Butter Chicken – The Ramadan Cookbook by Anisa Karolia
A royal dish if ever there was one, Butter Chicken is known for its luxuriously rich texture and for me, the thicker and creamier the better.
It’s a flavourful, aromatic curry with a butter and tomato base – wonderfully creamy and tastes out of this world.
My children absolutely love this beautiful dish. I make this often and serve it with Basmati Rice (see page 136 [of the cook book]).
My husband loves Butter Chicken too and makes it using this recipe – I’ve got to say it’s pretty good! Forget going out to dinner – make this and have a night in. You can thank me later!
- 4–5 tablespoons oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon butter chicken masala or…
- tandoori masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 250g tomato passata
- 100–150ml water
- 125ml milk
- 150ml single or double cream
- 30g butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
Serves 2-3 • Time: Prep 15min, Cook 25min
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a low heat, add the bay leaves and onion and cook for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the chicken, ginger paste and garlic paste and cook for 25 minutes until only a little moisture is left from the chicken.
- Add the chilli powder, chilli flakes, Kashmiri chilli powder, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, butter chicken masala or tandoori masala, salt, pepper and dried fenugreek and stir well.
- Add the fresh tomato and passata, cook for 1 minute, then pour in the water, milk and cream and stir well.
- Simmer for 8–10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the butter, letting it melt through the sauce, then add the lemon juice and serve sprinkled with chopped coriander.
- I serve the pulao with a simple yoghurt raita.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!