Shrimp and Mirliton Stuffed Flounder with Warm Potato Salad
By Bilal ‘The Halal’ Chef
Preparing the Mirlitons
- 4 mirlitons, halved and seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 pound Shrimp
- 1bay leaf
- 4 cups diced day-old French bread
- 2 cups Basic Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Basic Creole Spices
- 1 -2 dashes Tabasco
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Rub the mirlitons with oil. Place them on a baking sheet cut side down and bake until they are fork tender and easily peeled – about 45 minutes.
Set the mirlitons aside to rest until cool enough to handle, then peel and cut into 1-inch pieces.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the onions, celery, and bell pepper and cook until the onions are translucent – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Increase heat to medium-high, add the fresh herbs and shrimp, and stir frequently, until shrimp are just cooked – 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the diced mirlitons and the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Apply salt and pepper to your flounder fillets, spoon in about a cup of the stuffing in the middle, roll them close and place them on a sheet pan. Cook on 350 for 15 minutes.
Preparing the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon.
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Combine lemon juice, shallot, herbs and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season to taste.
Preparing the Warm Potato Salad
- 10 red potatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers small diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 8 scallions
- 1 tablespoon of butter
Blanch potato for about 3 min in boiling water. Take the potatoes out and lay them on a sheet pan. Cook down the remaining ingredients, toss into your herb Vinaigrette and spoon the mixture over potatoes.
Preparing the Sauce
- 2 cups hot sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb cold butter chopped
Reduce hot sauce by half on medium heat, then pour in the cream and reduce by half. Remove it from the heat and whisk in the cold butter bit by bit.
If you have any recipes you want published. Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!