Chicken Karahi – Annie’s Cooking
Chicken Karahi is a very authentic and traditional dish that is made all over the subcontinent. In Pakistan, any gathering is considered incomplete without chicken karahi on the menu.
It is made with traditional spices and lots of love. Here, food blogger Annie’s Cooking offers a tried and tested recipe that her family has been faithfully using for a very long time.
- Chicken 1 kg (Cut in small pieces)
- Onions (2 large, cut into slices)
- Yoghurt (4-5 tbspoon)
- Garlic (chopped finely 1 and half tbspoon)
- Tomatoes (4 large tomatoes)
- Oil (6-7 tablespoons according to your requirements)
- Coriander leaves (2 tbspoon finely chopped)
- Green chilies (4-5 whole with center slits)
- Turmeric powder (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (1 and half teaspoon)
- Red chilli powder (1 and quarter half teaspoon)
- Curry powder (optional half a teaspoon)
- Coriander powder (1 and half teaspoon)
- Cumin powder (half a teaspoon)
- First, slice the onions and add them to a pan. Add oil in the pan and fry the onions until light golden brown.
- Add garlic paste and sauté for a minute until the onions and garlic turn a golden brown colour.
- Add water into pan in order to prevent the onion and garlic mixture from further cooking.
- Add chicken, yoghurt and all the spices that are mentioned above, and cook until the chicken changes colour.
- Now add the tomatoes that are cut into halves only, into the pan.
- Add one glass of water and cover with a lid.
- After 5-7 minutes, take off the lid and remove the tomatoe skins with the help of a fork and spoon.
- Again cover the pan with a lid; let the chicken cook and the tomatoes to soften.
- After about 10 minutes of simmering, remove the lid and sauté the chicken on a high flame so that the oil separates and the tomatoes get evenly mixed in to create a fine gravy.
- Finally, when the oil separates, you can add a little water according to the consistency you require of the chicken gravy.
- To complete, garnish with red chillies and coriander leaves.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!