Homemade Beef Ramen by Britfoodie
By Solat Zaidi (@britfoodie)
Here’s my version of beef ramen that I put together based on the flavor profiles that I enjoy eating. For those Ramen experts out there, go easy on me! Yep, I know that I could have added the noodles to the broth, after I plated the broth. It’s just my preference!
The umami powder, which can be bought at any Asian store, gives the broth a lovely earthy taste. I hope you guys enjoy, especially the parents with kids at home who are craving some ramen.
- 1lb slew beef
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 big onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- 10 cups of water
- 1 packet umami broth (dashi)
- 1 cup bokchoy
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch of green onions (Negi)
- 1 packet of shitake mushrooms
- 4 soft boiled eggs
Soy Seasoning Sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbs water
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- Can be made in advance and stored in fridge.
- Add all the ingrcdianls for thie beef broth into a instapot and cook for 30 minutes until beef is soft and easy to shred.
- Strain broth (keeping the liquid) and separate beef before transferring it to a plate.
- Use two forks to shred the meat.
SOY SEASONING SAUCE
As I dont drink alcohol, I had to find a mirine wine substitute for the seasoning
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and 3 tbs water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add in 3/4 cup of rice wine vinegar.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Add in 3/4 cup soya sauce and 1 cup of water. Cook for another 2 minutes.
This mixture can be stored in the refrigerator until ready to be used.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Create Negi (green onions) by soaking the onions in a large bowl of water for 10 to 15 minutes (to lessen the strong onion flavors). Drain!
This can be stored in an air tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Soak rice noodles for 30 minutes in lukewarm water.
- Cut up shitrake mushrooms, bok choy, cilantro, drained green onions (negi) and put them to the side.
- Add broth, beef, shitake mushrooms, bok choy and a satchct of umami powder into a saucepan and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Boil eggs for 7 minutes (they should be soft boiled).
- Add in the noodles to the broth and vegetable mixture.
- Serve ramen with a sprinkle of cilantro, negi, 2 tbs of the soy seasoning sauce, and 1/2 an egg. Enjoy!
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!