Spicy Beef Biryani – Just Another Foody
By Just Another Foody (@just.anotherfoody)
For my first ever collaboration, I wanted to showcase a recipe which many people find challening – the humble biryani.
This one may have a lot of ingredients, but don’t be put off. Just follow my simple and straightforward instructions below and you won’t go wrong.
- 1kg boneless/ on-bones meat
- 3-4 medium diced tomatoes
- 3 medium peeled and quartered potatoes
- 3½ cups of soaked and washed rice
- 3 medium finely sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons of garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons of ginger paste
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of whole cumin
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon black caraway
- 1 piece of bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 2 cardamom
- 6-8 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon meat tenderise
- ½ teaspoon yellow food colour
- Water (as required)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- Fry onions in hot oil until golden brown. Take out and set aside on paper towel.
- Separately, in 15 cups of boiling water, stir in 3 tablespoons of salt and the soaked rice. Boil rice untill ¾ cooked and drain throughly (check by taking out some grains and squeezing between your fingers to check they begin to break).
- In a separate pan, add the meat, ginger and garlic paste, and saute it. When the meat starts changing colour, add water and let it simmer on a low flame for 15min.
- When the meat is cooked, add potatoes and let it cook for another 15min. You can check potatoes are cooked by inserting a knife to see if it goes through smoothly.
- Add all the spices and mix it well. Add tomatoes and water. Cover with lid and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and green chillies (as they are) and turn off the flame.
- In a separate pan, layer the boiled rice and fried onions before pouring the meat curry over. Top it with the remaining boiled rice. Then add coriander leaves and food colouring on top and spread it out evenly.
- Before serving, cover the pan and cook on low flame for 15-20 minutes. Carefully mix before serving.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!