National Kebab Day Lamb Seekh by Masterchef’s Raheel Mirza
By Raheel Mirza (@raheelmirzacooking)
This Lamb Seekh Kebab with Pistachios for National Kebab Day today came about as an experiment whilst trying to use up some left over pistachio nuts.
The classic combo of flavours in this dish dances on the palate and the combination of the nuts makes this a decadent version of the classic we all know so well.
I cannot get enough of these! Wrap each one up with some salad and some mint yoghurt and you’ll not want to stop going back for more.
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 50g of shelled pistachios nuts (roasted and salted ones)
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp sumac powder or pul biber flakes (optional)
- Grate the onion and squeeze as much of the liquid out as you can to remove any moisture from the final mix.
- Shell the pistachios and crush them in a pestle and mortar.
- In a large bowl, add the lamb mince, grated onion, chopped chilli, coriander leaves and all of the spices.
- Give this a thorough mix to combine and finally add the crushed pistachios and mix once more.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge to marinate for 20 mins.
- Line a wire rack with some kitchen foil and lightly grease with some rapeseed oil.
- Take the lamb mince mixture out of the fridge and using a metal or wooden skewer, shape a tennis ball sized ball of mince on to the skewer into a long seekh kebab.
- Slide it gently off the skewer and place it on the foil.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used up (approx. 8 kebabs).
- Put in the oven to bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes and then turn over and bake for a final 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve on a wrap with salad and mint yoghurt and enjoy!
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!