Pomegranate & Beef Kebabs by Mahreen’s Kitchen
By Mahreen’s Kitchen (@mahreenskitchen)
These deliciously rich and juicy kebabs will make the perfect addition to your Eid dining table this Friday. They can even be served up as part of a summer barbecue!
- 500g minced beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 50g chopped mint
- 50g chopped parsley
- 50g chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 ½ tblspn pomegranate molasses
- 1.5 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tblspn of oil
- One piece of coal for smoke.
- In a food processor, add the minced beef, along with the onions, green chillies and herbs, and give everything a pulse to combine.
- Take the meat out into a bowl and add the ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp each of crushed cumin and coriander, 2 tbsp of the pomegranate molasses, 1 tsp of chilli powder and salt/ pepper to taste.
- Mix everything together thoroughly, shape into small oval kebabs and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a slightly deep and wide pan, heat the oil, and add the remaining ½ tsp of cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add your chopped tomatoes, and cook down till the oil surfaces to the top.
- Add the remaining 1 tsp of chilli powder along with 1 tsp of coriander powder, and continue to cook down the spices on low/ medium heat for about 6 minutes (add a splash of water, to allow the spices to cook down).
- After 6 minutes of cooking, add your kebabs and cover to steam for 10 minutes till they are cooked (do not turn them with the spoon, or they will break).
- Your kebabs will be ready when they are cooked through, and the rich sauce is clinging to each kebab. Now is the time to get your coal smoking hot!
- Once your coal is piping hot (sit it on one of your hobs and switch the gas on) lay a piece of foil on top of your kebabs. Put the coal on top of the foil and add a drop of oil to create smoke. Cover the lid immediately to allow the kebabs to smoke.
- Enjoy with naan, or summer salad.
If you have any recipes you want published, Contact Us now. We’d love to hear from you!